DARKMATTERS - The Mind of Matt

You met me at a very strange time in my life...

Read my novel: Complete Darkness

Listen to the PODCAST I co-host: Hosts in the Shell

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Film Review: The Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl in 3-D



The Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl in 3-D (PG)
Dir. Robert Rodriguez

Reviewed by Matt Adcock

One of the benefits of having two cool sons is that I have to devote copious amounts of time to Playstation, Star Wars Miniature battles, make believe superhero challenges, football in the park and whatever other boyish pursuits are flavour of the month – Yu Gi Oh! etc… It’s tough…
Experiencing movies with them is another joy – I’m almost envious of the fact that there are so many cool films out there for them as they get older… We’re currently in a Raiders of Lost Ark, Star Wars I – VI, Spy Kids, Narnia and Harry Potter kind of stage…

Tonight we watched The Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl in 3-D – complete with the 3D glasses and all. The boys both loved it (and I think Luke was quietly taken with Lava Girl, but hey that’s 8 year olds for you)… It was a fun, madcap adventure that owed a massive debt to The Wizard of Oz but infused enough superhero styling into the mix to make it stand as its own film. I’m not convinced that it needed to be in 3D and am glad that the DVD has the 2D full colour version on it too (which we have to watch at the weekend according to my boys).

The script and plot are aimed squarely at a child audience – I found it amusing enough but have yet to read another ‘grown up’ positive review… Maybe you have to watch it not just with the 3D glasses but with the eyes of a kid…


As Neil Smith over at the BBC said: “Shark Boy works fine as a Ritalin substitute for kids with ADHD. Their mums and dads, though, will be reaching for the paracetamol.”

I found that a beer worked OK for me (and maybe even helped my enjoyment of it).

Darkmatt Rating: ööö (worth checking if you have kids)


"Hey... someone took off their 3D glasses..."

Earlier preview of Sharkboy & Lavagirl

Darkmatters: H O ME

No comments: