DARKMATTERS - The Mind of Matt

You met me at a very strange time in my life...

Read my novel: Complete Darkness

Listen to the PODCAST I co-host: Hosts in the Shell

Friday, February 10, 2023

Matt survives the Cthulhu Armageddon (review) and meet CT Phipps



Cthulhu Armageddon: A Post-Apocalypse Western

CT Phipps (@CT_Phipps


Reviewed by Matt Adcock (@Cleric20)


“God Almighty,” I whispered, wishing I could clutch my head in horror. The bindings prevented me from doing so, holding me fast despite my struggles against them. “I’d be careful about calling on gods. You never know what sort of being will answer..”


Incoming transmission – this is not a drill – we are experiencing a CTHULHU ARMAGEDDON!!

Welcome to a timeframe some 100 years past the rise of the Old Ones on an earth that has been reduced to mostly monster-filled deserts…

Your guide for this journey is one John ‘Henry’ Booth, a ranger of one of the largest remaining city-states but when he gets exiled for his group’s massacre and the suspicion he’s “tainted” things go pretty bad. 

On the run with a misfit bunch of characters, this is the time for violent payback – and boy does Phipps deliver!

Booth’s adventures through the post-human civilization wasteland is a fantastic trip to take – the writing is packed with nerd-crowd-pleasing references ‘West-Boys’ for reanimated dead being prob my favourite!? Lovecraftian mythos abounds (as the title alludes to) and the action crackles with kinetic energy (both arcane and visceral)…

If Mad Max himself had popped up in a cameo I would hardly have blinked. If you’re a fan of westerns, sci-fi, Lovecraft or preferably all of the above – get in on this action - and then check out the sequel (I'll be doing that soon)!

Who is CT?

C.T Phipps is a lifelong student of horror, science fiction, and fantasy. An avid tabletop gamer, he discovered this passion led him to write and turned him into a lifelong geek. He is a regular blogger on "The United Federation of Charles" (http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/).

He's the author of Agent G, Cthulhu Armageddon, Lucifer's Star, Straight Outta Fangton, and The Supervillainy Saga – I got the chance to ask him some questions:


Matt: If you were granted the powers of a master magic wielder who or what would be your nemesis?

CT: I would almost certainly be a Cthulhu-themed Lovecraftian superhero who would be opposed by a bunch of fascist wizards from WW2 and deranged self-righteous folk. Like a counter-culture Doctor Strange. Which may just be Doctor Strange in the Sixties.

Matt: What is the most life-affirming thing you’ve ever read or watched in a book/film of any genre?

CT: Jurassic Park. Yes, seriously. Why? Because we can someday clone dinosaurs. After that, I definitely feel like Star Wars was the biggest influence in my life. It told me that I, too, could be a revolutionary once I developed supernatural powers.

Matt: If you were hired to throw a parade of any scale or theme through the centre of London what type of parade would it be?

CT: A funeral. Lots of black robes, ominous music, and chanting.

Matt: You are blessed with a supernatural power what does that look like for you?

CT: Some horrific shapeshifting power that makes me a protoplasmic multidimensional entity. Yes, I'd go full Prototype/Shoggoth.

Matt: Who or what inspires you most (can be living or dead)?

CT: I turn to my fellow authors like David Niall Wilson, Jim Butcher, Glen Cook, Michael R. Fletcher, Brian Lumley, Richard Knaak, and others. I've met some fantastic people online and some of them were ones I read growing up or in college.

Matt: There’s a masked assailant with a gun to your head, who is most likely to be under the mask?

CT: In a David Lynchian mind-screw, it's myself.

Matt: What is the meaning of life?

CT: To drive your enemies before you, crush them, and something else.

Matt: What was the best gift you’ve ever been given?

CT: A big Cthulhu glass stein from one of my audiobook narrators.

Matt: If you could have a sidekick of any sort – what would it be able to do for you?

CT: I'd prefer a hyper-competent one like Kato who handles all of the actual adventuring while I mostly natter on obnoxiously.

Matt: What would you like written on your tombstone?

CT: I'LL BE BACK.

Matt: Any final words you like to add...

CT: The book has been read! We're doomed! All of us! Also, read Cthulhu Armageddon. It's apocalicious!


BuyCthulhu Armageddon


Out of a potential 5 - you have to go with a Darkmatters:

ööö
ö
ö

(5 - This is a superb Armageddon-em-up that you need in your life!)



>>> Imagine a world where the earth is becoming hell?

Click below to find out in my dark sci-fi novel...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Darkness-Darkmatters-Matt-Adcock/dp/0957338775


No comments: