“Get Jack Reacher.” The only three words the primary suspect of a series of sniper homicides writes before slipping into a coma. Cryptic? Just a little. Cue the appearance of the mysterious Jack Reacher, an ex-army cop known for being untraceable to anyone and everyone unless he wants to be found. You don’t find him, he finds you. As he investigates the supposedly open and shut case of the murders, he realises that things are not quite what they seem. So, to celebrate the release of Jack Reacher, (in cinemas across the UK and Ireland from Wednesday 26th December), we have compiled a list of our top 5 renegade cops who, like Jack, come to discover that the law is not as black and white as it seems once they uncover the truth.
5. THE DEPARTED (2006) First up is Billy Costigan. Leonardo DiCaprio stars as the young police academy student who drops out when he is given an undercover police assignment before he can even graduate. Going undercover as an ex-con, Billy must infiltrate a mob syndicate headed by criminal, Frank Costello (played by Jack Nicholson).
4. THE BOURNE IDENTITY (2002) Matt Damon is Jason Bourne who needs answers and he wants them badly enough to get them. But what will he do if he doesn’t like the truth once he discovers it?
3. TAKEN (2008) Former CIA agent Bryan Mills’ loves his teenage daughter, Kim, so when she’s kidnapped in Paris, he does whatever it takes, and kills whoever he must…
2. DIRTY HARRY (1971) Clint Eastwood stars as Police Inspector “Dirty” Harry Callahan in this classic cop thriller. Up against the sadistic serial killer, “Scorpio”, who by today’s standards is after an mildly unambitious $100,000.
1. DIE HARD (1988) New York City Detective John McClane (played by Bruce Willis) arrives in Los Angeles to reconcile with estranged wife Holly when the company Christmas party she is attending is taken hostage. McClane is not a traditional hero, but he’s a damn good one in a crisis!
Jack Reacher… Darkmatters review
Boxing Day is the time to go see another former cop uncover more than he bargained for when he begins to investigate a seemingly simple case. Just don’t get in his way because he has nothing to lose and if “you’re smart that scares you!?”
"Jack Reacher's Alexia Fast - soaks up the sun"