DARKMATTERS - The Mind of Matt

You met me at a very strange time in my life...

Read my novel: Complete Darkness

Listen to the PODCAST I co-host: Hosts in the Shell

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Matt visits Palm Springs (review)

Palm Springs (15)

Directed by Max Barbakow

Reviewed by Matt Adcock (@cleric20)

Feels like I’ve written this review before – anyway – it’s November 9 in Palm Springs and I, Nyles (played by Andy Samberg) wake up next to my girlfriend Misty (Meredith Hagner). It’s the wedding day of her pals Tala (Camila Mendes) and Abe (Tyler Hoechlin).

It all goes ok until at the reception I jump in and deliver a touching impromptu speech, much to the relief of Tala's sister, Sarah (Cristin Milioti), she’s the drunk and unprepared maid-of-honour...

She’s special – I can feel a connection so I decide to show her Misty in the act of cheating on me – I’ll get to how I know when and where she would be in a minute. Alas things go a bit awry and Sarah gets sucked into a time vortex even though I warned her not to follow me into the cave where it dwells.

'living the dream on repeat'

Feels like I’ve written this review before – anyway – it’s November 9 (again) in Palm Springs but this time Sarah wakes up and finds it is also November 9 for her again. Obviously, she freaks out a bit and but I explain the time loop as best I can. Every time I die or fell asleep the day resets and there’s nothing I can do to escape it. I’ve been in this loop for a  L O N G  time and know pretty much everything that happens in the day. I find day-drinking helps…

Feels like I’ve written this review before – anyway – it’s November 9 (again) in Palm Springs and Sarah and I start to enjoy our repeat day. We get reckless and start to indulge in lots of hedonistic fun – oh there’s also Roy, I should have mentioned him. He’s also caught in the loop but didn’t take it well and now comes to find, torture and kill me quite often.

Feels like I’ve written this review before – anyway – it’s November 9 (again) in Palm Springs – if you’re thinking Groundhog Day or Happy Death Day or actually any time loop movie, yes this is one to add to the genre. The good news is that Palm Springs is superb, its dark, quirky and packs real emotion along with plenty of laughs.

Out of a potential 5 - you have to go with a Darkmatters:

öööö

(4- Excellent fun time-repeat-em-up...)


Awesomeness öööö – Some great and memorable scenes

Laughs öööö – Really funny

Horror öö – There's slapstick violent death...

Spiritual Enlightenment öö - What sort of sick deity would allow this?


maybe click below to find out about my dark sci-fi novel...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Darkness-Darkmatters-Matt-Adcock/dp/0957338775

No comments: