DARKMATTERS - The Mind of Matt

You met me at a very strange time in my life...

Read my novel: Complete Darkness

Listen to the PODCAST I co-host: Hosts in the Shell

Friday, May 02, 2008

Street Kings - the 'GOOD COP / BAD COP' review


Street Kings (15)

Dir. David Ayer

Reviewed by Matt GOOD COP Adcock (@cleric20)

Hi my name is Tom (Keanu Reeves), I’m a GOOD COP but I do have propensity for VIOLENCE i.e. I subscribe to the ‘shoot first – make a plausible version of events later’ school of bringing in BAD GUYS… It’s not easy being a GOOD COP, especially as there are so many BAD COPS out there, you know, I even suspect that some of the guys in my division might be BAD COPS… Damn, what’s a GOOD COP to do?

Only one thing for it… I’m gonna have to blow the BAD COPS away, it’s for the best, it’s what I do… You can watch me do this in Street Kings, don’t listen to whining liberal cinema critics who KNOCKED my film (yeah Mr Chris Curtis your review springs to mind)… You have no idea how hard it is to pull off this trigger happy GOOD COP action – and damn if the flick hasn’t got decent pedigree man – you haters were down with TRAINING DAY and nobody walked away from HARSH TIMES without giving some love to my man David ‘let’s not mention that I wrote S.W.A.T.’ Ayer… 

So if you dug that GOOD COP / BAD COP action that he served up in Dark Blue, people you should be checking Street Kings, it’s like a got that Oscartubbytastic Forrest Whit-tick-errr in it man.

Here’s the thing, check my opening lines in this film and you WILL be impressed:

BAD DUDE: Yo dawg. ME (Tom Ludlow): Konnichiwa. BAD DUDE: What? ME: Konnichiwa. Konnichiwa. It means what's up. So what the *&$£’s up?

Impressive yes!?

You want some PLOT details? Gunplay man, stylish and brutal, over the top and heavy-duty… supplemented with exigent circumstances… Damn who need a plot anyway cos when the evidence implicates me in the execution of my former partner I’m gonna go up against the BAD COP culture that I’ve inadvertently been a part of – in my whole GOOD COP career… It don’t even make sense but it ultimately leads me to question the loyalties of everyone around me – and those film critics are the worst man, I’m gonna find them and blow them the hell away…

See you on Blu Ray Mother*&$er

DARKMATTERS RATING SYSTEM (all ratings out of maximum 10):

Endorphin Stimulation: öööööööö (8)
- Edge of your seat my friend

Tasty Action: öööööööö (8)
- What it’s all about baby

Babeness: ööööööö (7)
- Martha Higareda

Mind Blight / Boredom: ööööö (5)
- Obviously some people won’t pick up on the neo-classical elements

Comedic Value: ööööö (5)
- Yeah it’s got some funny stuff

Arbitrary final rating: öööööööö (8)
- GOOD COP gun action all the way man…


Liable to make you:
"a better cop!"

DM Poster Quote:
“Nothing says Policework like emptying a clip into a BAD GUY"


No comments: