DARKMATTERS - The Mind of Matt

You met me at a very strange time in my life...

Read my novel: Complete Darkness

Listen to the PODCAST I co-host: Hosts in the Shell

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Film Review: March of the Penguins



March of the Penguins (u)
Dir. Luc Jacquet

Reviewed by Matt Adcock

In the harshest place on Earth, love finds a way – yes even in Hitchin there was mucho smoocho this St Valentines Day, and my lovely wife even rustled up some mouth watering Strawberry Soufflés… delicious!!
But even as I pause to consider just what a lucky guy I am, my thoughts go out to the thousands of Emperor Penguins (especially the males) and I smile as I take another bite of penguin pie… Mmmm
Actually no penguins were eaten or harmed in the writing of this review… It’s been a long long time but Luton cinema finally got hold of Luc Jacquet's ‘March Of The Penguins’ which has astoundingly become something like the second most successful documentary ever made…
The plot concerns the love-life cycle of the little waddling critters and we follow them as they emerge from their ocean playground and trudge across 70 miles of ice floe to their breeding grounds.
Seems like a bit of a track just for a shag… but hey, it makes great relaxing cinema. I was hoping to see the ‘first-person narration from the perspective of the penguins’ version but we got the ‘third-person narration by Morgan Freeman’ US edition – which is probably nowhere near as avant garde or strange as the original French cut… But damn they are cute.
It’s soppy but it’s sweet and it even has some brief violence as predatory beasts of one sort or another make off with the occasional chick. Nicely done but not really worth all the fuss.


Poster Quote: "so I walk 70 miles and she says she's got a headache!? "

Darkmatt Rating: ööö (chilly willies but warm hearts)

Darkmatters: H O M E

No comments: