DARKMATTERS - The Mind of Matt

You met me at a very strange time in my life...

Read my novel: Complete Darkness

Listen to the PODCAST I co-host: Hosts in the Shell

Friday, May 19, 2006

Film Review: XMEN 3 THE LAST STAND


Prepare...

For...

Action!!




Xmen 3: The Last Stand (12a)

Dir. Brett Ratner
Reviewed by Matt Adcock


I know you’re unhappy, I know it’s hard being different and that nobody understands your pain. But now you don’t have to suffer any longer – we can ‘cure’ you…
And so it begins, the Xmen’s Last Stand, humans have developed a ‘cure’ for the mutant condition and the repercussions are going to tear the world apart.
As Professor X (Patrick Stewart) says: “Since the dawn of existence, there have always been moments when the course of history shifted. Such a turning point is upon us now.”
Is this end for the mutants of the world? I can assure you that it gets rough, there are casualties on both sides but will there be victory?
The free thinking leader of the Brotherhood of mutants, Magneto (Ian McKellen ), sees it this way: “Make no mistake, my brothers, they will draw first blood. They will force their cure upon us. There is only one question you must answer: Who will you stand with?”
That’s the crux of Xmen: The Last Stand – whose side will you choose? It is a credit to the filmmakers that a comic book film can tackle deep set issues like alienation, racism and the rights of individuals in such an accessible way, whilst keeping the butt kicking quotient high enough to please action fanatics.
There has been much speculation about this third and possibly final chapter of the superheroic Xmen. Directors have changed (Bryan Singer from Xmen 1 & 2 left to direct Superman Returns), the script has been gone through several major revision and rumours of reshoots have unnerved some fans. Let me tell you now - Xmen: The Last Stand delivers an incredible continuation / finale that stands toe to toe with the first two films. Director Brett ‘Rush Hour’ Ratner has outdone himself, staying true to the look, feel and spirit of the blockbusting series. Aided in no small part by having most of the stellar cast return and pleasing fans with some funky new mutants too (props to Angel, Beast and Shadow Cat). There is so much to savour, the action is bigger in scale, the effects are more eye popping than ever and the plot zips along without pause for breath. We can only hope that an extended directors cut DVD is one day released.
Xmen: The Last Stand is a joyful power packed thrill ride, which will make X-fans everywhere X-tatic!!


Darkmatters rating system (out of 5):

Action öööö - heavyweight comic book slamdunk
Laughs öö - a couple of good jokes
Horror öö - nicely handled not too grim for young fans
Babes öööö - those leather outfits are hot

Overall ööö1/2 (the most fun I've had in the cinema so far this year!)


"The Last Stand?"

Links
Matt Adcock meets Storm and Wolverine


Other Xmen 3 posts / artwork
No more Xmen please - I want to check out: Cameron Diaz and other babes


Darkmatters: H O M E

3 comments:

Lord Havoc said...

Enjoyed the review and it was informative. I will hve to check your site on a regular. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Nice review. I'm not a big fan of the series and the X2 was mostly a disappointment.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I'll probably have to balance it with something a bit more ... thoughtful.

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I feel the urge to tell on internet just how much I enjoyed this movie. Some of the plots are a bit far-fetched to my opinion but overall ---sublimely entertaining. Quality review Matt.