DARKMATTERS - The Mind of Matt

You met me at a very strange time in my life...

Read my novel: Complete Darkness

Listen to the PODCAST I co-host: Hosts in the Shell

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Bruce Willis Q&A


"Don't shoot Matt"

ENTERTAINMENT FILM DISTRIBUTORS

BRUCE WILLIS Q&A

HOSTAGE

Release date: 11th March 2005

What was it about the book that struck you because you must get sent lots of stuff?

Actually I wasn’t sent it, I read the book on my own. I bought the book and it sat on my shelf for about a month and I picked it up and got caught up in it, read it overnight and called and asked about the rights and fortunately they were available, that was about four years ago.

So, what is it that got you excited?

It’s a really complicated novel, really complicated story and in turning the novel into a film it was a good opportunity for me to make a movie that had some action, that was a psychological thriller that wasn’t “a Bruce Willis movie”. Because of the success of a couple of films that I’ve done; The Die Hard series, Armageddon, films like that, I’ve saved the world I think 6 or 7 times now and I think that audiences have started expecting if I’m in a film that I’ll save the day and this story was about a guy who didn’t look like he was going to win, it looked like he was going to lose.

The Director, Florent Siri, and I worked very hard at constructing a story that had multiple obstacles in it; emotional, psychological and physical obstacles, and right up to the very end it does look like I’m not going to succeed.

You’ve got a birthday coming up and it’s been reported you’re going to do another movie as the world’s best known cop: John McClane?

Yup! Die Hard 4.0!

You’re meant to start slowing down when you hit 50. Why not you? What have you done to beat that barrier?

I don’t know, I have worked out off and on. I hate working out. Because I work out for films now solely I come to associate it with work. I did ‘Hostage’ then I did a Robert Rodriguez film called ‘Sin City’ where again I had to be completely naked, (it was shot tastefully so the good parts won’t be seen) [laughter] but I was literally hung by the neck, with my hands tied behind my back, so I had to stay in shape for that but as soon as that scene was shot I stopped working out, that was about a year ago.

I just did five days of work on a film called ‘Alpha Dog’ directed by Nick Cassavetes and I had to do what ten, fifteen, twenty years ago was a really simple stunt, I had to run and get away from the feds and in one move climb over a six and a half foot concrete wall and pop down on the other side and land on the side walk. It was the first time I ever thought “what if I fall on my ankle, go over on my ankle or break a bone…” and I took pause, then to make matters worse the character I’m playing in Alpha Dog is a real life guy who was there and Nick said “Jack, show Bruce how to go over the wall!” and he hops up over the wall jumps down. No pressure on me now! It was the first time I actually had to stop and think am I going to get through this and not embarrass myself, not go to hospital, not get a cast on my leg! The jumping off the roof of Nakatomi towers – those days are gone.

Will you be having a big party for your 50th, any particular plans and what would be your ideal 50th birthday present?

I hope so! I was meant to have a big bash but I think there’s going to be, I’m told it’s a surprise, not the party but the musical guests are going to be a surprise. I had my wish list of bands and singers I’d like so we’ll see who shows up.

You know 50 is the new 40 anyway, so!

Bearing in mind the huge variety of roles you’ve taken on in the last five years, what do you think the public perception of Bruce Willis is?

I’ve never really paid much attention to it. I suppose I should have. I’m from South Jersey, I don’t know if you know anyone from there. I never really have lost my blue collar background. I never really got caught up in the bullshit of Hollywood. I never became an actor because I wanted to be famous it kind of happened and I was as surprised as everyone else was.


I’ll tell you my little theory on the perception of Bruce Willis. If I meet fifty new people a year – that would be a lot. Actually meet someone and become friends with them. Everyone else I don’t meet that year, around the world has an idea of who they think I am based on films I do, interviews I do, tabloid stuff they read, TV shows, gossip, whatever people hear. But what that really is is like a holograph of me. It’s not who I am as a man and it’s not who I am as a father. Because who I am as a man and who I am as a father is far more important to me than any perception in the public of whether my work is good or bad. The audience I work for is my peers and there is a network of colleagues and actors who see each other and that’s the audience I look for now. The rest of it… as long as I keep being invited back that’s good…

2 comments:

Gledster said...

Thanks for posting that. I'm gonna try and see Hostage this weekend!

Matt Adcock said...

Chris... Hope you enjoy - read my review here: http://darkmatt.blogspot.com/2005/03/film-review-hostage.html
I kind of LOVED IT!!